Maintaining your privacy is really important to us. You entrust us with your information, and
we take that responsibility seriously.
This policy was last updated on 21st May 2018 in line with GDPR requirements. It may be updated in the future and we will post the new version here on our website. We will never deviate from our overall philosophy of maintaining your privacy, though.
2. What information we collect about you
Your personal data When we say your "personal data", we mean any information that identifies any person that you provide to us.
Your "personal data" may also be contained in information that we collect about you in connection with your order or otherwise interact with us for example by electronic mail.
When it comes to your personal data, we comply with our obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation and any other applicable data protection legislation from time to time.
Your personal data includes the information you provide, on the www.thevintageportcompany.com website (including any forms you complete), or during an electronic mail enquiry about you.
Examples of this personal data include your name, your email address, address including postcode which you provide to us when you set up an account and subsequently amend in the My Account section when you go to checkout; and any correspondence when you contact us.
We do not knowingly collect or solicit any personal data from anyone under the age of sixteen or knowingly allow such persons to purchase goods from us. www.thevintageportcompany.com is not directed at children under the age of sixteen. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal data from a child under age sixteen without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.
Information we collect - We collect information about your website usage, to improve our service and to understand trends to enhance and customize our website. Some of this data may be "personal data", where it identifies a person. Here's the information that we collect and how we use it:
3. How we use the information we collect We use your personal data for legitimate business reasons, for example email you when your order has been received. It will also enable us to contact you by email, fax, post, SMS, social media or telephone where necessary concerning The Vintage Port Company Ltd. or an order you have placed; to record your personal preferences; to personalize our services to you (such as by pre-populating fields to make it easier for you to provide information when you return to the The Vintage Port Company Ltd. It will also enable us to produce reports you request as part of the services we provide.
Contacting you for Marketing Purposes - We may use your personal data to contact you by email, fax, post, SMS, social media and/or telephone to let you know about our other The Vintage Port Company Ltd. and/or third-party services, content, offers or product ranges which may be of interest to you. We will only use your data in this way where you have provided consent, we have legitimate business reasons for doing so, or where we are otherwise entitled by law to do so. If you would like us to stop providing you with such notifications, just contact us using the details in Section “How to Contact Us” at the end of this policy. Please note, this may take up to one working day to take effect. To stop receiving emails from The Vintage Port Company Ltd. itself, you should cancel your The Vintage Port Company Ltd. account or unsubscribe from our mailing list.
Legal Requirements – We may use your personal data to comply with any legal obligations to which we are subject.
4. Why do we use your personal data?
We collect and use your personal data for a variety of reasons. We need some data to enter into and perform our contract with you. The lawful basis for processing your personal data is Consent as you have consented to provide your personal details to us to allow us to provide a service to you. If you fail to provide such data we will be unable to provide our service to you.
Other information we collect because we have legitimate business interests, for example, in:
• Fulfilling your order and providing updates on the order. • Understanding how our customers use our products, services and websites; • Understanding and responding to customer feedback; • Researching and analysing the services our customers want; • Improving our product and better understanding how our customers use it.
5. How we share information we collect: Except as described in this policy, The Vintage Port Company Ltd. does not divulge any personal information gathered via its services to third parties.
We may share your personal data with third parties in certain circumstances:
• We may disclose your data to any member of our group (which means our subsidiaries or our ultimate holding company);
• in the event that we, our business, or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party (in which case personal information about customers will be one of the transferred assets);
• if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal in order to comply with any legal obligation; to cooperate with law enforcement officials in the investigation of unlawful activities of The Vintage Port Company Ltd. website users or relating to The Vintage Port Company Ltd. users; or in order to enforce or apply any contract with you; or to protect our rights, property, or safety of our employees, customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection or unlawful activity. We also utilize a number of carefully selected third parties to help provide our services to you. Examples of these functions include website creation and hosting, email, providing marketing assistance and data analysis, data management, handling credit card transactions and providing customer service. In choosing to work with any such third parties, we will always ensure that the security policies and confidentiality arrangements of those third parties adhere to the same requirements we ourselves impose and expect, as a minimum. No ownership rights to the data will be transferred to any third party.
Sub-processors we use:
Name Service Provided Link:
www.google/analyticals - to track trends and traffic sources and interesting pages
www.yell.com – to allow the success of marketing and advertising to be assessed.
freewebstore eCommerce provider for website design, hosting and data storage.
Gmail as our email provider.
6. How long do we store your data for? We only store your data for as long as necessary for the purposes of processing set out in this policy.
Data Retention Policy
Category What personal information is kept?
How long is it kept for?
Order Data: Name, email, address are stored for 24months to enable Us to comply with HMRC requirements.
Invoice’s: Name, email, address and telephone number are stored for 24months to enable Us to comply with HMRC requirements.
My Account: Name, email, address Active until user unsubscribes or makes an individual request
Newsletter subscriptions Email address Active until user unsubscribes
Accounts: Names are recorded along side transaction details for accounting purposes.
7. How to access and control your information
You are free to change your personal details in the My Account section of your account at any time, if you have set up an account with us.
You can also ask us for a copy of your personal data that we hold. We may ask for proof of your identity before providing any information and reserve the right to refuse to provide information requested if identity is not established. Please see “Your Individual Rights” below. Generally, we will retain your personal data for a reasonable period, or for as long as the law requires.
Your individual rights:
1. Access to your personal data: You can ask us to confirm if we are processing your personal data and you may request a copy of your personal data by contacting us. See Section “How to Contact Us” at the end of this policy.
2. Right to change or withdraw your consent: Where you have given us consent to make use of your personal data for any of the purposes outlined in this policy, you may withdraw that consent at any time by contacting us using the details located at Section “How to Contact Us” at the end of this policy. If you wish to change your contact preferences or no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, use the Unsubscribe link in the email or get in touch. See Section “How to Contact Us” at the end of this policy.
3. Right to Rectification: You may ask us to update out of date or inaccurate information we hold about you. To do so, please log on to you’re The Vintage Port Company Ltd. account and update your information or get in touch using the details at Section “How to Contact Us” at the end of this policy.
4. Right to Erasure: In certain circumstances you may ask us to erase your Personal Data. If you would like us to erase the personal data we hold about you, please get in touch using the details at Section “How to Contact Us” at the end of this policy
5. Right to Data Portability: In certain circumstances you may ask us to provide you with the personal data that we hold about you in a structured, commonly used, machine readable form, or ask for us to send such personal data to another data controller.
6. Right to object: In certain circumstances you may object to our processing of your personal data. Please get in touch using the details at Section “How to Contact Us” at the end of this policy.
7. Right to restrict processing: You can ask us to restrict the processing of personal data we hold about you in certain circumstances. Please get in touch using the details at Section “How to Contact Us” at the end of this policy.
8. Make a complaint: You may make a complaint about our data processing activities, please contact us. See Section “How to Contact Us” at the end of this policy.
10. Data security: We take security and privacy seriously. We will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep your personal data secure once it has been transferred to our systems. We adopt appropriate, industry standard data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure or destruction. For more information how we keep our online data safe, visit https://freewebstore.com/privacy.html.
All website design, text, graphics, the selection and arrangement thereof are owed by the company running this site, or hosting this site, except where provided under the General Public License (http://www.gpl.org). ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
All trademarks of are the property of their respective owners and may be registered in certain parts of the world.
14. Disclaimer of Warranty and Liability
The following provisions may be curtailed or disallowed by the laws of certain jurisdictions. In such case, the terms hereof are to be read as excluding or limiting such term so as to satisfy such law.
We do not represent or warrant that the information accessible via this website is accurate, complete or current. We have no liability whatsoever in respect of any use which you make of such information.
The information provided on this website has not been written to meet your individual requirements and it is your sole responsibility to satisfy yourself prior to ordering any products or services from us that they are suitable for your purposes.
Whilst we make all reasonable attempts to exclude viruses from the website, we cannot ensure such exclusion and no liability is accepted for viruses. Thus, you are recommended to take all appropriate safeguards before downloading information or images from this website.
All warranties, express or implied, statutory or otherwise are hereby excluded.
Neither we nor any of our employees or affiliated entities will be liable for any kind of damages and howsoever arising including, without limitation, loss of profits, compensatory, consequential, direct, exemplary, incidental, indirect, punitive or special, damages or any liability which you may have to a third party, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such loss.
We are not responsible for the direct or indirect consequences of you linking to any other website from this website.
These terms and this disclaimer and any claim based on use of information from this website shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and you agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England.
15. Consent and enquiries